How to do Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose) – Bhujangasana Benefits and Contraindications
Bhujangasana (भुजंगासना) or the Cobra pose is one of the gentle backbends that is helpful in relieving backache, it also helps in improving digestion and overall health of the spine.
Table of Contents
- Relieves backache
- Keeps spine healthy
- Beneficial for abdominal organs like liver and kidneys
- Helps in menstrual and gynecological disorders
- Eases constipation
- Good for stimulating the appetite
- Opens of your chest as well as heart and is helpful for people suffering from depression
Important: Yoga is about uniting your mind with your body and the key to this union is your breath, when you align your breath with your movements it would help you get the maximum benefit of the posture.
Please keep in mind that it is perfectly fine to not go deep into the posture until your body is ready to do so, this takes time and practice and that is why it is important to listen to your body, respect it’s limitation and slowly work on them. Do not try to compete with your counterparts or anyone else, that is not the goal. The goal is to live a healthy and stress free life.
Now lets get started ?
How to do Bhujangasana (भुजंगासना) or the Cobra pose
- Lie down flat on your stomach with your head on the floor, legs straight and feet together.
- Keep your palms on the floor under your shoulders and your elbows close to the body.
- Relax your body and lower back.
- With inhalation slowly raise your head and start lifting your chest up, keeping your chest open, use your back muscles for the lift and put less pressure on the hands.
- Keep your pubic bone in contact with the floor, the naval can be raised a little bit.
- You can keep your elbows a little bent and once you reach a comfortable height, look diagonally.
- Stay for 5-8 breaths
- To return, exhale and slowly bend the arms, lower the naval, chest, shoulders and forehead to the ground.
- People suffering from hernia, peptic ulcer, hyperthyroidism or intestinal tuberculosis should do it under supervision.
- Not recommended for pregnant women
Video on Bhujangasana (भुजंगासना) or the Cobra pose
If you have any questions, please let me know in comment box below ?