Setu Bandha Sarvangasana or the Bridge Pose brings your awareness to your back, this pose is quite beneficial for backache and also helps you to rejuvenate and energize your mind.
(Setu = Bridge, Bandha = Lock)
Benefits of Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose)
- Relieves backache
- Good for thyroid
- Keeps spine healthy
- Improves digestion as it stretches your abdominal organs
- Good for high blood pressure, asthma and sinus
- Improves blood circulation to pituitary, pineal, adrenal and thyroid glands and improves their functionality
- Reduces anxiety and insomnia
- Lowers stress and
- Alleviates mild depression
Important: Yoga is about uniting your mind with your body and the key to this union is your breath, when you align your breath with your movements it would help you get the maximum benefit of the posture.
Please keep in mind that it is perfectly fine to not go deep into the posture until your body is ready to do so, this takes time and practice and that is why it is important to listen to your body, respect it’s limitation and slowly work on them. Do not try to compete with your counterparts or anyone else , that is not the goal. The goal is to live a healthy and stress free life.
Lets get started ?
Recommended – Natural non-toxic, anti-slip cork yoga mat
How to do Setu Bandha Sarvangasana or Bridge Pose
- Lie down on your back, you can cushion your shoulders and neck with a folded blanket as well.
- Fold your knees and bring your feet as close to your hips as you can, keep your feet hip width apart from each other.
- Keep your hands on the floor besides your body, palms facing down.
- With inhalation, press your palms, shoulders and feet on the ground and slowly lift your hips up, you can tighten your hips so that you don’t put too much pressure on your back
- Using your thighs, keep your knees close as they may spread out.
- Engage your shoulders to keep your neck neutral.
- You can clasp your hands behind your back, keep your arms straight.
- Stay for 5-8 breaths or longer if you are comfortable.
- To release, simply exhale, unclasp your hands and lower your hips to the ground.
- People with neck injury, disc problem should do it under proper supervision
Please let me know your questions, feedback and appreciations ? in the comments section below ❤